Dusty chickens

A definite sign this week that at last the weather is getting warmer and the ground drying out... the feather fiends found a patch of ground suitable for a dust bath (click image to enlarge). The spot they found was where I lit a fire last September, trying to get rid of the wasps' nest. Hope the queen wasp doesn't decide to come out from her hibernation while there's a chicken's bum on top of her!
On the theme of getting warmer, the temperature hit 60 degrees farenheit (15.5 centigrade) midweek. And yes, I have started recording the maximum/minimum daily temperatures. Bit of a blip the first day when I realised having the thermometer inside the shed was a little pointless, so I found a sheltered spot out of the sun to position the instrument. Once I've filled a page, about a couple of weeks, I'll publish a chart.
Back to work Tuesday and Wednesday, and Monday was a day at home because of the last chemotherapy session for a few months (hurrah!). Chipped away at creating more path down the centre of the back plot on the free days I had. I'm sure that path is on a conveyor belt... it seems the more I do, the more I still have to do. Dug more of the of the left hand border on the back plot as well.
Some of the garden bulbs I planted in pots in the greenhouse have started showing. In celebration I planted some radish and tomato seeds to accompany them.
Feeling a bit devoid of cups at present... well, not just feeling. After a superhuman effort to win again at squash on Sunday against son David and bring the score to 2-2 for the month, I lost the decider on Tuesday. So I'm now 2-0 down in months this year (note... we're only at February). Then on Wednesday fought my way back in the pub games competition against David and John to have a play off decider against John, only to lose that. Finally on Thursday had a great game of tennis (yes, tennis!) against Barry to lose 4-6 and another cup down the plug hole. It's almost as though getting to a play off is merit enough without having to win. That must be it... I could win every time if I wanted to but subconsciously I'm taking pity on them and LETTING them win. Hmmmm... feel better now.
Had a visit from my youngest granddaughter Izzy and mum Becky Tuesday lunchtime. She's mastered the art of scootering at almost 3 years and wanted to show me. Got a text from Becky to say she'd set off on the scooter about 12:50. No sign at our house at 13:05 so I walked down the street a bit to meet them. See the picture below (click to enlarge)... she was in pig tails as well. We then got into a routine of her scootering a bit, me then whooshing her along with both her feet on the scooter. After a couple of goes at this she looked up into my face with her big brown eyes and said lovingly 'Silly boy'!


Izzy in her Smartie coat
Sunset over Hillrise Allotments

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...